How to Rock a Headwrap/ Turban
November 8, 20160
The head scarf/turban originated in sub- Saharan Africa, and was often used to convey modesty, spirituality and prosperity. They date back to the 1700’s and served a practical function in protecting the head from rays of the sun. Young women across the globe have adopted this fad and are now reinventing the way the world perceives traditional African fashion. (Source: Africa Imports)
To get you started, all you’ll need is a colorful printed scarf.
- Start off by folding your scarf in half lengthwise or if the scarf is already the perfect size, start by just holding up the scarf lengthwise.
- Line up the center of the fold with the base of your head and pull the scarf forward. Hold the front of the scarf securely.
- Next separate both ends and tie a knot to secure and begin twisting together.
- As you are twisting you should begin wrapping it into a bun at the top of your head, and just keep wrapping and twisting. When you get to the end, tuck the loose ends of the scarf under the bun to secure and hide.
- Be sure to add your personal flare to it, as no two turbans are ever the same.
By: Morenikeji Omotoso